Traditional Newfoundland Blueberry Cheesecake Ice cream with Graham Crackers
These are a couple of links to more Traditional Newfoundland Recipes from Bonita's kitchen.
this was the recipe I spoke about we would have for Sunday supper, and then a delicious dessert to follow.
In Newfoundland we loved our blueberries and making desserts or jams with them is so rewarding. I have many more recipes available on my website so please take total advantage of them. I also have available my new cookbook with more delicious Traditional Newfoundland recipes, this is the link or just send me a message on my website.
Enjoy this recipe all details are listed below.
- BLUEBERRY ICE CREAM
- Whip Cream or Heavy Cream - 3 1/2 Cups
- Sweetened Condensed Milk - 1 Small Can
- Vanilla - 1 Tsp
- Blueberry Sauce - 1 Cup
- Fresh Blueberries - 1/2 Cup
- BLUEBERRY SAUCE
- Blueberries - 2 Cups fresh or frozen
- Cornstarch - 1 Tbsp
- White Sugar - 3 Tbsp
- Lemon Juice - 1 Tbsp fresh squeezed
- Lemon Zest - A few grates
- Graham Crackers - 1 Cup ( hand crushed crackers, about four whole crackers and more for serving)
1. Using a electric blender and a large cold bowl add whip cream or heavy cream blend on medium-high speed, until soft peaks start to form this will take about 3-4 minutes.
2. After fold in your sweetened condensed milk, Vanilla until all the mixture have been incorporated.
3. After fold in your pieces of graham crackers.
4. You will need a glass or metal bread pan 10 x 5 or less, line with parchment paper, scoop half of your mixture in pan then pour room temperature blueberry sauce over it using a knife swirl the sauce around cream.
5. Add the remaining cream mixture then blueberry sauce and do the same swirl the knife around it to make a beautiful design.
6. Freeze until completely firm, this may take 6-8 hour depending on the freezer, then cover top of ice cream with parchment paper or Sarah wrap place back in the freezer for another 3 hour or until ready to serve. Top with more graham crackers and blueberries to serve.
1. In a medium saucepan add all of the ingredients needed, then cook on medium heat stirring occasionally until its thickened.
2. This could take about 5-7 minutes, remove from heat and scoop in to a bowl or measuring cup place on ice to help bring it to room temperature before you use it.
Follow recipe above.
I don’t know where to start with this delicious recipe, for homemade blueberry ice cream. I can remember when I was a young girl my mom would make homemade ice cream for us on Sunday’s for our dessert after we ate our Cold Plates supper. For those of you that is wondering what Cold Plate suppers is this is a meal made up of several cold salads with left over cold meat or chicken from our Jiggs Dinner. I will attach a link for you to access this recipe, back to Blueberry Ice Cream recipe. You can make this recipe anytime of the year because frozen blueberries works well with this recipe just let them thaw first before you make the blueberry sauce.
Blueberry Cheesecake Ice Cream with Graham Crackers and served in a wafer bowl then topped with whip cream and more fresh blueberries.
I talked about in the video that you can make any flavour of ice cream just by using this recipe for your base. You can have any type of nuts instead of Graham crackers or maybe chocolate chips. Remember you are making it for yourself or family and I can’t see if you substitute any of my ingredients in your recipe.
I Would like to thank you once again for taking to time to read my blog and visit Bonita’s kitchen. I have many recipes on this website you can try or share with your family and friends, so from my kitchen to yours have a wonderful day, please leave me a message or a suggestion of a recipe your mom or dad made when you were young. I will add it to our line up of videos and this way you will have full access to this recipe, thank you.Add to Favourites