Shepherd's Pie and Ground Beef Gravy
Shepherd's Pie and Ground Beef Gravy made with freshly cut vegetables and lean ground beef, and topped with creamy mashed potatoes. Then covered in homemade ground beef gravy to had to the richness of this delicious meal.
I love one dish meals it makes meal time so much easier and enjoyable!
Shepherd's Pie is a old fashion meal that people have been making for years but yet not a lot of people makes it today because I'm thinking they forgot how tasty it was. We love one pot dishes to me this meal is quick and easy to make, if you don't want to use all freshly cut vegetables you can use store bought. Frozen mixed veggies, packaged mashed potatoes and package gravy. This is not my way of making this meal but at less you are cooking at home for your family.
Bonita's Kitchen is mostly about making Traditional Newfoundland and Labourdor meals but sometimes I like to offer my suggestions on meals I like making and some meals are viewers request on meals that they like to see make.
I made this delicious shepherd's pie in a square pan because it was deep, but you can make it in a deep pie pan too. The potatoes are a golden brown on top and inside creamy and moist, seating on a bed of fresh vegetables and lean ground beef.
So colourful and packed full of favour, this is has good as it gets for sure. 🙂
I'm going to share with you a link to my cookbook with a few of our viewers favourites plus links to how you can get so much more. Enjoy
- Lean Ground Beef - 5 Cups or more
- Onion - 1 Medium chopped
- Potatoes - 4-5 Medium peeled and cut
- Carrots - 2 Medium chopped
- Green Peas - 1 Cup Fresh, frozen or canned
- Flour or Corn Starch - 2-3 Tbsp
- Vegetable Broth - 3 Cups
- Sea Salt - as needed
- Pepper - as needed
- Worcestershire Sauce or Maggie's Seasoning - 2 Tbsp
- Butter - 2-3 Tbsp
- Milk - 1/4 Cup
- Olive Oil - as needed
- Start by peeling your potatoes and cube put in a bowl of cold water to wash.
- Then remove cold water and add potatoes to a medium saucepan with warm water to start to boil, then add 1/2 tsp of sea salt let boil for 10 minutes.
- In a frying pan add 4 cups lean ground beef with a pinch of olive oil, start to fry.
- Then add 3/4 of your chopped onion continue frying, add pinch of sea salt, pepper and Worcestershire sauce continue frying until it starts to brown. ( you can add more seasonings if you wish)
- Add 1 tbsp flour or corn starch and 1 cup vegetable broth and add carrots and green peas, stir until mixture starts to thicken.
- Remove from heat and pour in a square or round glass pan.
- Next remove potatoes from hot water and mash in 2 tbsp butter and milk, until creamy then spread over top of ground beef mixture.
- Place in a pre-heated 350º oven for 30 minutes or until potatoes start to turn a light brown, or golden.
- In the same saucepan add 1 cup of lean ground beef, pinch sea salt, pepper and start to fry with remainer of your onions, when your mixture start to brown top with Worcestershire sauce, 1 tbsp flour or corn starch and 2 cup of vegetable broth.
- Bring to a boil and keep stirring until mixture starts to thicken, add more broth if needed.
- Remove from heat serve over shepherds pie after cooked and only over each serving, always keep your gravy warm just incase you need more.
Shepherd’s Pie and Ground Beef Gravy is comfort food at it’s best, this delicious shepherd’s pie is made with fresh vegetables and lean ground beef.
Shepherds Pie is not a Traditional Newfoundland Meal but many Newfoundlanders have made it over the years, this recipe was a request by one of our viewers to make and show them the steps on how I make Shepherds Pie. I guess you can add any type of vegetable and use ground beef, pork, lamb or chicken. I like to make mine with lean ground beef and ground beef gravy to dip my bread into the sauce.
I love making gravy or sauces with different foods because we have a dipping sauce for our homemade bread or bread buns. Our cultural foods is all about big meals and lots of leftovers plus gravies of any type, ground beef, bologna, sausage, roast beef, chicken and of course turkey the list goes on for gravy types.
Look how delicious this shepherd’s pie is and it’s equally tasty take it from me, my website is a teaching tool for you and your family to pick out recipes that works for you. Make any of my Traditional Newfoundland Recipes or any of our viewers requests and make it your own, just make them and change any of the ingredients to meet your dietary needs. 🙂
I will share with you a couple more recipes you may like to try when you have time. 🙂 Enjoy
This meal was one of my dads favourites, he would make this one at less once a week because of the richness and flavour of this one pot dish.
Quick and easy meals and the cost works into your budget, you get up from your table full and satisfied “now how sweet is this”. Thank you for taking the time to visit my website and to read my blog, ” from my kitchen to yours” have a lovely day. BonitaAdd to Favourites